Thursday, July 10, 2008

India Report from Sue - The Ring


It had been prophesied that our ministry would be working with the Jewish people around the world. I didn't think that meant me, since I was presently assigned to India. "Surely there are no Jews in India," I said. So I hit the Internet and found that I was quite mistaken. Granted, there are fewer today than 50 years ago, but there are still small pockets and large concentrations in places such as Bombay (Mumbai). There are even Jews in Manipur, which was my destination, so I was excited about what God had in store.

One Sunday after our church's Bible study in Texas, a man in our class approached me and started taking off his gold ring. He told me that God had spoken to him. "Give this ring to Sue, she will meet a down and out man in India and she is to give it to him," he was told. As he laid the ring in my hand, I saw the Hebrew lettering and said, "It is for the Jewish man." He asked me what man and I told him about the prophesy. I wore the ring a lot as time for my trip grew near because it was a reminder to me that God was in control and had interesting things planned for me in India.

I had been in Manipur about two weeks when we had to go to Calcutta to meet with the US consulate regarding our friend in India Alex's visa to the US. He was denied this time, but we know now what is needed and feel confident he can get one next year when he is allowed to re-apply. We stayed in a quaint little hotel on Sudder Street that had quite a history. It had been owned once by a Jewish family because, according to the brief history in the lobby, we were in the old Armenian and Jewish sector of the city. After that I saw the old buildings with different eyes, imagining the families living in the big apartment buildings.

On the last afternoon of our stay in Calcutta we went to a travel agent to get tickets to fly back to Manipur the next day. On a door in the lobby was a brass name-plate: David Cohen. After our second visit to the travel agent, I looked again at the name and knocked. No answer, but we knocked on another door which turned out to be the kitchen of Mr. Cohen's apartment. We were let in and got a chance to meet Mr. Cohen. He was happy to have visitors and very talkative. He was using a walker and explained that he had broken his hip four years before and had to sell his business to pay his debts and is now a beggar. This got my attention, so when he mentioned again his financial condition, I removed the ring and
handed it to him.

Mr. Cohen was suprised and said he couldn't take it. I explained the whole story and he was incredulous. He asked me again who told me to give him the ring and I said, "God, Jehovah!" When I said Jehovah he sank back into his chair in resignation. We talked more and he said as I left, "You are a Godsend." I replied, "Exactly."

Later I went back to give him the shawl that Melba Knott had given me to give to him. He was asleep and I didn't get to see him, but I will return someday and check on him. He is 94 and told me that there are only 25 Jews left in all of Calcutta. Out of 15 million people, God had led me to the one man he wanted to show His love to.

5 comments:

Chachie said...

Wow Steve, thank you for sharing this story. I think Sue is awesome, very obedient and always listening to Him intently! She writes well too :)

Blessings!

Chachie said...

Chachie here by the way :)

Kingdom Shifts said...

Make sure to have Sue read this powerful story from my blog about the name Cohen and it Hebraic roots:
http://cause2impact.blogspot.com/2007/03/profile-benjamin-keys.html

God is so good!

I agree with Chachie that Sue is a gifted writer. Tell her she needs to do a regular update of her ministry for the website! *grin*

AD Miller said...

Ms. Sue,

It is interesting to read about your India experiences.

Since 2004, I traveled to India five times. I met your Indian friend Alex from Manipur and he was in an English class I taught in South India. I have a special memory of him.

He wrote to me about you and I was able to find you online.

Blessings abundant, AD Miller, Ohio

blog@adm.cotse.net

ALC INDIA said...

Hi Steve,

We have never met, but you know how God is...

My name is Rev. Lee Ruud. I am an American Missionary living and working in South India for the past 15 years. Some how, I have been connected to your Face Book and today, I read your story about God asking you to go to the park.

Thanks

Rev. Lee Ruud
PS, Great story!


http://alcministries2009.blogspot.com/2009_03_01_archive.html

http://alcministries2009.blogspot.com/2009/03/alc-boy-peter-update-from-august-2008.html