Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Guatemala Update - Trip #17 January 2006

I want to thank pastor Frank Estes of Bethel Temple Christian Center in Abilene, Texas and pastor Jeff Light of Novum Baptist Church in Reva, Virginia for graciously inviting me to share with their congregations what the Lord has been doing in Guatemala. I'd also like to thank Charlie Robinson and Bobby Johnson of First Baptist Church in Belton, Texas for also giving me the opportunity to share the evidence of God's mighty works with a group of men whom I meet with each week to learn more about our Creator and His Word. The Lord truly blessed our time together in every case as He promises in Psalm 37:5-6, "Commit your way to the Lord and trust in Him and He will do this: He will make your righteousness shine like the dawn and the justice of your cause like the noonday sun."

Guatemala Update:

Through the initial "practice" medical clinic we held in late September the Lord led us to one family who has been the bridge to a whole new area for us in Guatemala. Here's what happened: I noticed one woman who was just leaving the clinic. She was dressed in tractional Mayan wear carrying an infant with a small boy in tow. I asked her if we had been able to help her with all of her medical needs (she was the only one I asked that day). She was having headaches and was given an order by our doctor to go to one of the hospitals in Guatemala City for further testing. On my ensuing trip to Guatemala I inquired about this woman, Juana, and wanted to make a follow up visit to her home. Pastor Jorge and I made the visit. Her dark, windowless home was the size of a large walk-in closet illuminated by a single light bulb strung up in the middle of the room. Her bed took up the entire back wall, a small burner and shelves on the left wall and a broken down dresser drawer on the right.

As we talked we found out her husband and their two older children were living during the week near a small mountain town called Nebaj some 12-hour bus ride up in the mountains. He was working there in their hometown selling garbage bags to support his wife and their four children. He came to Guatemala City to be with Juana as often as he could afford. Jorge and I prayed for this family and left. That night at about 3 AM, the Lord woke me up and told me, "You missed it!" I knew immediately what I had missed. God had brought us to Juana to help her and her family. "Suppose a brother or sister is without clothes and daily food. If one of you says to him, "Go, I wish you well; keep warm and well fed," but does nothing about his physical needs, what good is it?" (James 2:15-16). I couldn't sleep the rest of the night. I picked up Jorge very early the next morning and he and I went back to Juana's home. I told her how the Lord had brought me back to her home and I apologized for allowing her to spend one more night worried about how her family would survive. The Lord led me to ask more about her husband, "Is he a Christian?" Juana told me, "Yes." Her now husband Pedro had become a Christian when he was 14 before they were married and he immediately felt the call on his life to study and preach the Word of God. Over time he became an associate pastor of a small church near his hometown without pay. He worked there for nearly ten years. He even began preaching on the radio in his native tongue, Ixil (ee'sheel). He paid for the air time himself. But as the financial strains of his growing family took over, he was no longer able to afford to continue the radio program. He knew he was called to preach, but it wasn't paying the bills. He had to abandon his calling to support his family. It had now been three years since his radio program ended. He thought God had abandoned him. But we were there to tell him God had not forgotten about him. God was sending help.

The LORD is providing through The LORD Will Provide for Pedro to fulfill his calling full time. We are also providing training materials and teaching Pedro the principles of discipleship, "Operation Multiplication" by Billie Hanks, Jr. and "Experiencing God" by Henry Blackaby and Claude King. The amazing thing is that through this relationship with The LORD Will Provide, Pedro is now back on the radio every week in his hometown in the Guatemalan mountains preaching in his native tongue to his native people. Praise God from whom ALL blessings flow!

The LORD Will Provide is now supporting pastor Jorge Cerritos full time and our initial church plant called "Ciudad de Refugio" (City of Refuge) which we began together in September. Just four short months later through our new friend Pedro, the Lord has given us the responsibility of a second "City of Refuge" church located in Pedro's hometown as well as his radio program. Everything is moving so fast as we continue to trust the Lord as Provider.

One final thought, as I stood in our new church plant "Ciudad de Refugio" near Nebaj I spoke and prayed with the congregation. My words were in English. Pastor Jorge translated my words into Spanish and Pedro translated Jorge's Spanish into Ixil. Three different languages spoken in praise of the One Living God. How awesome is that!!!

The Lord is leading with a vision for a lost world. We are simply joining Him. My prayer is you will join with Him also in prayer and support.

In Christ,

Steve

1 comment:

Jonathan Blundell said...

Hey Steve, if you get a second, look at www.thelordwillprovide.org/new
Let me know what you think.
God bless.